Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Angry Ocean. But still good!

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Today the ocean was angry.  I don't know why.  But it was churning and crashing. It sounds great from inside the house!  But swimming in it was not so easy today.

Oh sure, it looks pretty and sparkly.  But it was angry!
Brad forgot to bring a hat, and ended up with a very sunburned face.  He borrowed Grandma's hat this morning.

The pink hat and beads really bring out his eyes.
Lea attempted to swim, but came out shortly after saying "There are too many waves."

Tried it!

Enjoying it safely instead.
We sat outside (sans those pesky neighbors who weren't seen all day!) and stared at the ocean, read books.  Talked about super important stuff.  Then we decided today would be a good day to visit our fave Hatteras Island restaurant, Frisco Sandwich Co.  We headed down south a bit to Frisco.  This place serves all homemade, natural food.  They even make their own potato chips, and serve them warm!  It was very crowded which was strange for us.  Since we usually come down here off-season and don't see many people anywhere.  But we found some tables and enjoyed fabulous gourmet sandwiches, chips and pickles.  And even all-natural pop!  We took the obligatory pics of our girls as pickles.




After our bellies were full, we stopped by the Hatteras Lighthouse.  Grandma's back was sore, so we didn't go up inside this time. Which made Lea quite upset.  Maybe next time.


But first, let me take a selfie.


We stopped at a few gift shops along the way, for Brad to buy a manlier hat, and for us girls to look at cute stuff.


Then came back for more ocean time.  I got a few pics from our deck before I ventured out.



I gave it the old college try. But the waves were wild today!  No breaks in between.  Just pounding me.  One huge wave pulled me out toward the sea, knocked me down, dragged me towards shore scraping my knees on the sand, and held me underwater while it swirled around me in all directions, so that I didn't know which way was up.  Yeah.  That was when I left.  But I sat and watched Brad and Lainie navigate it all like bosses.  Ocean bosses.

I did more of this.
Seriously?  This is my week?  I am so blessed!
I took a nice nap and have no idea what everyone else was doing.  Lainie has been hanging out in her room writing.  She is doing some script writing for her next play, and writing just for fun.  Lea has been listening to music and singing.  Brad has been playing his guitar.  Grandma has been napping and reading.  So probably some of that was going on.  We ate dinner and then took a walk down the beach, Brad, Lainie and I.  Saw some interesting sights, as usual.

Very large horseshoe crab.  Dead, as the little boy smacking it with a plastic shovel with all his might told us.


Sunset.  The sun sets over the Sound side and not the ocean.  But the clouds were picking up the pink.

Someone's fabulous, giant sand creation!
And for my last trick, my friend Laura saw the pic of the house from Nights in Rodanthe on here.  So she told me to take one like the cover of the movie, and with that house in the background.  So we did.  I think we look just like Richard Gere and Diane Lane.  Don't you?


No comments:

Post a Comment